Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Defending Jacob

Lately I have been listening to a lot of books on my ipod, I listen when I'm running, at the gym, cleaning and driving.  I used to only listen to fluff types of books-beach reads, but I've branched out to listening to the types of books I would usually take the time to read.  So, not all of the books I listen to are worth the time to review, but not Defending Jacob.  I finished this book a few weeks ago and since then I haven't been able to stop thinking about it-definitely the mark of a good book.

From Amazon:


Andy Barber has been an assistant district attorney in his suburban Massachusetts county for more than twenty years. He is respected in his community, tenacious in the courtroom, and happy at home with his wife, Laurie, and son, Jacob. But when a shocking crime shatters their New England town, Andy is blindsided by what happens next: His fourteen-year-old son is charged with the murder of a fellow student.


Every parental instinct Andy has rallies to protect his boy. Jacob insists that he is innocent, and Andy believes him. Andy must. He’s his father. But as damning facts and shocking revelations surface, as a marriage threatens to crumble and the trial intensifies, as the crisis reveals how little a father knows about his son, Andy will face a trial of his own—between loyalty and justice, between truth and allegation, between a past he’s tried to bury and a future he cannot conceive.


The narrator is Andy Barber and the book is mostly him re-telling the story that already happened, with some commentary from present day.  It did take a little while to get into the book but once it gets going and I learned the characters, I found myself inventing extra chores just to have an excuse to keep listening.  The characters were really interesting, far from one dimensional.  It was easy for me to imagine what they were going through, and wonder what I would do in the same situation.  I knew there was a major twist at the end, but did not see it coming-it was kind of awful and perfect at the same time.  I don't want to say too much and give the story away, just go read it, then tell me what you thought.  


I gave it a solid A  

No comments: