Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Sonoran Dogs

While in Arizona I got to hang with my family. Craig, Hailey and I were sitting around talking late Tuesday night when we somehow got to the subject of hot dogs. Maybe it was all the QT talk. Anyway, I revealed my dirty little secret that I kind of love gas station hot dogs. Craig told me I was wasting my calories on a gas station hot dog when there were Sonoran dogs to be had. That's right, Sonoran dogs, as in, from the area of Sonora Mexico. Who knew they had a style that applied to hot dogs. He said that the best dogs were only available after 10:00 p.m. in the parking lot of the mattress store. What? A few minutes later he left to go to the store for ice cream. He was gone for a long time and when he finally returned, he had not only ice cream, but had treated me to a Sonoran dog. I pointed out that by then it was almost 11:00 p.m., but when someone does something so nice for you, it would be rude to refuse. I consoled myself by remembering that vacation calories. So what is on a Sonoran dog you ask? Of course, the dog, then beans, guacamole, mushrooms, two kinds of cheese, sour cream, and probably a few other hidden ingredients.
Was it delish? Oh man, it was pretty much amazing. Good thing the mattress store was so far away and it was so late or I may have been tempted to go back for seconds. Actually, the late hour wasn't a big deal, apparently they stay "open" and busy till about 3:00 a.m.


I would like to say that I declined the ice cream...good thing I don't go on vacation more often.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Next time you are in AZ, after you have treated yourself to the mexican hotdog, you need to go to Lolo's Chicken Waffles. Have you heard of this place? If not I highly recommend the Betty Boop special! The restaurant is in a scary part of town, but oh so yummy and frequented by a lot of famous peeps. And while you are there, order yourself a big jar of red kool aid. Add that to your vacation calorie count....

Hailey Yep said...

Oooo. Yes. We love Lo-lo's!

Jenna Theobald Broadbent said...

This post makes me happy. I'm so glad you see the virtue in a 3am hot dog smothered in goodies.