Total Pageviews

Monday, July 25, 2016

Pioneer Day Weekend


If you live in Utah, July is a pretty great month when it comes to celebrations - plenty of parades, fireworks, picnics, and non-stop fun.  I've tried explaining to the kids that Pioneer Day is a celebration of Utah, but with flags and fireworks, they still keep telling me how exciting it is to celebrate Happy Birthday America.

Tim and I were able to start off the weekend with a night out to Sundance.  We had a work event that included a picnic dinner and then the play, The Music Man.  We arrived a little early and had some time to wander around the grounds for a little bit - it has been awhile since we have been to Sundance and I was reminded how beautiful it is.  Thanks to my parents watching the babies, we were excited to be able to wander and enjoy the atmosphere without kids.  The play was fantastic - it is one of my favorites and this production was especially fun.  





This summer has brought several longtime friends back to the area and I have loved being able to reconnect with friends.  Sunday afternoon we went to Santaquin a little early so that we could spend time with my friend April Sames Bryant, along with her husband Shawn, and kids.  April and I grew up together and spent so much time playing in my back yard that it seemed like the perfect place to reunite.  She and her family have been living in England for the past three years and I have satisfied my travel bug vicariously by watching their adventures.  They had just returned home to Arizona when sadly April's dad Paul passed away.  I wish they would have been visiting under happier circumstances, but I was happy to be able to spend some time together and introduce her to my sweet little ones. 



Today, Monday was the State Holiday and we stuck with tradition and went to the Fiesta Days parade in Spanish Fork.  The parade was fun - plenty of fire engines, baseball teams and high school marching bands. We were lucky enough to score a shady spot which made the whole event even more enjoyable.  Sometimes it feels like a lot of work to make it all work, but watching my kids experience and enjoy it makes it all worthwhile.  Once the parade was over we were all too hot to spend any more time at the park, so we wandered around and the had lunch together.  By the time we made it home everyone was hot and tired which meant afternoon naps for the entire family.  The rest of the day was pretty uneventful, but it just felt so nice to spend time together.  Weekends like this make it tough to go back to work and the responsibilities of every day life.  













No comments: