Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Just Call Me Betty

Serious, I am not sure what inspired the sudden burst of home made goodness. For Christmas I made and gave away my mom's famous granola (sorry if you weren't on the "nice" list). Anyway, it is amazing and I decided that it was cruel to keep the recipe from the world. All credit goes to Lynda aka mom.

6 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup ground flax
1 cup raw wheat germ
Mix all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
¾ cup honey
½ cup olive oil
Mix the honey and olive oil then pour over the dry ingredients.
Spread a thin layer on a cookie sheet and bake for ½ hour at 325 degrees. The tough part is you have to stir it every ten minutes.
Once it has cooled, add craisins, raisins, etc.

My mom also uses the granola to make her version of power bars.
3 ½ cups granola
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup honey or light corn syrup
Cook sugar and syrup over medium heat until boiling.
Stir in ½ cup natural peanut butter.
Add to granola and mold into a cake pan. Cut when cool.

BTW, if you buy the ingredients at Winco in bulk it is pretty cheap to make. But beware, they don't accept credit cards. I'm serious. And they aren't even nice about it. Cash or ATM only my friends.

No comments: