Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 12, 2017

50 Golden Years



One of the biggest blessings in my life has been my parents and their relationship and example for me and my brothers.  On November 10, 2017 they celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary and we were all so lucky to be able to share in the celebration.  From the time I was quite young, I have loved my parents' "love story".  My mom first noticed my dad in the fourth grade and started flirting by leaving notes in his snow boots.  Two years later they had their first date to a school banquet.  From that point on there are plenty of stories of school dances, ping pong games, ice cream to end the evening, and lots of time spent together.  By the time they had both graduated from high school they knew they wanted to be together forever and they planned their wedding at the Manti Temple.  Over the past 50 years of marriage, or about 60 years of being together, I'm sure they have had their ups and downs.  We have certainly watched moments of stress and disagreement, and sometimes a little bit of irritation with one another.  But none of that has ever made us question their love and loyalty to each other.  I consider myself lucky to have parents who modeled how to stick together - not only when life is going great, but especially when everything is not going quite so well.  

When they first started talking about how to celebrate the big occasion, us kids did our best to convince them that a family trip to Mexico would be an excellent way to pay tribute to their many years together.  But my mom was not about to be convinced.  She has wanted a 50th Anniversary party for years and had it envisioned at the church where they had their reception over fifty years ago.  The date was set for the Saturday after Thanksgiving and we were all given assignments to help.  Over the past few months, my mom has been so excited about this anniversary and the party they had planned.  My dad did what he does best and worked hard to make sure she got what really mattered to her.  We were a little worried if she could handle such a big event with all of the complications she has had with her back surgery, but she rested during the set up, had a stool handy, and didn't want to let a little back pain keep her from greeting so ,many of their family and friends. 

Thanks to Marlene, the decorations and feel of the party were exactly what my mom wanted.  We had all been initially given assignments, but before long we were relegated to "worker bees" and given jobs to carry out the vision my mom had for the party.  The party was a huge success and I couldn't believe all of the people that just kept appearing.  I know my mom and dad absolutely loved all of the friends and family that made such an effort to honor and celebrate their many years together.

The white jacket was part of her outfit that she wore to the temple.

The train to her wedding dress.



We had a cake made that was similar to what they had 50 years ago.






Before the official party began, we had a dinner and program with just our immediate family members.  This part was a big deal to my parents and if I'm being honest, the part that the rest of us initially grumbled about.  My mom had requested that we all participate with some type of performance, and memories or thoughts.  When it all came together, it was actually really nice and an incredible time with my family.  Both Tim and I shared some memories and thoughts about my parents (and Tim thanked them again for me), Taylor recited a poem, Brycen played the piano, Erika played the guitar and sang and the babies (and I as background) sang You Are My Sunshine.  The boys and their families all participated and there were parts that were funny, tender, and really sentimental.  Luke even got to tell his favorite joke (Why do you have to be quiet in church.....because everyone is sleeping).   It was incredible to see my parents so moved.  My dad's comments were my very favorite - he got up an expressed how much he loved each of us, and that he especially did because we had made his wife so happy.  What a great moment together.

After the program was over, I realized I had only snapped a few, random photos and had done very little to document the whole thing.  I am normally much too focused on recording and illustrating what has gone on and probably miss a lot around me.  For those few hours at the party, I was too wrapped up into just enjoying the experience to even think much about taking any photos.  To be honest, it felt good to be so present and connected.   Thanks mom and dad for a great party.  Here's to many more years together as a couple and with your family. 







Ended with Edelweiss 

Someone liked the treats

Lucky to have them as my parents


We always need extra pictures with the Texas cousins.





No comments: