Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Provo City Center Temple



Friday morning we took the kids to tour the new Provo City Center Temple.  Like so many people, I was so sad when I woke one morning to hear about the tabernacle having burned overnight.  Seeing the temple gutted, you could only think of how much history had just been destroyed.  




I have so many memories throughout my life of attending events at the tabernacle: concerts, special performances, church meetings, etc.  My favorite feature was the woodworking - the detail and the skill was so impressive.  I think the last time I was in the tabernacle before the fire was shortly after we got married when Tim, the kids and I attended stake conference.  Tim and I were remembering how hot it had been on that day - the improvement of air conditioning will be super appreciated. 


Because the building had been damaged so badly, it was expected that the remaining facade would be torn down and a new project built in it's place.  When the church announced that they would be rebuilding the tabernacle and modifying it to serve as a temple, the decision seemed perfect.  As we toured the finished temple, the woodwork was equally as beautiful as the original - as were all of the details.  Temples, in general, are always beautiful, but this one was especially striking.  I loved being there with Tim and my little ones to enjoy the spirit and teach them about the blessings of the temple.  We of course talked about getting married in the temple and Luke immediately started asking if he could get married.  I explained that he could, but that he would need to wait until he had grown and was a man. He fussed and told me that he wanted to get married now, to Ruby, because he loved her so much.. The experience felt pretty close to heaven. 



At the end of the tour they will take your picture in front of a screen of the temple.  I'm glad we decided to wait because it ended up being the only picture we got with all of us together (and looking at the camera)


The babies were so good throughout the tour, they were quiet and stayed with us and seemed to really love being there.  They must have used up all of their goodness inside because once we got out, it was nearly impossible to get them to stand still, and looking at the camera was completely out of the question.  The pictures make me laugh and remind me of how lucky I am to have these strong little personalities as my own. 






No comments: