Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Inspiring



So, it was the St. George marathon this weekend. I got sick a few weeks ago and was left with a nagging cough and lack of sleep. That along with the fact that it was hotter than I have ever experienced at the marathon let me know that this was not my year for a PR, or anywhere close. Starting with that in mind made this a very different race for me. Not only did I slow down physically, but I slowed down mentally, I spent more time observing and really just enjoying the experience. It was one of my slowest, but definitely one of the most memorable.
As I ran, I observed and thought about so many people that inspired me, made me not only want to run better, but just to be better. Here's what inspired me yesterday:
1. My brother Jarin, and every other runner that completed their first marathon. I am so proud.
2. The gentleman in a wheelchair struggling up the Veyo hill at a snails pace. I was in awe of his determination.
3. The woman who stopped by her husband and kids, to get a glucose monitor and test her blood sugar. It made me remember how lucky I am that any health issues I have had were very temporary.
4. The friend who conquered very difficult circumstances to show up, and to finish.
5. The little kids who cheer and high five, and treat the slowest of runners like a superstar.
6. The volunteers. People think I am crazy to get up at 4:00 in the morning to run the marathon. How about the people who get up hours before that just to support it. Thank you.
7. My dad who had heart surgery in June, and still ran strong enough to encourage me throughout the race.
8. The man in a wheelchair near the finish with a large sign that said "mind over matter". Again, what amazing strength to encourage thousands of people doing something that he cannot do.
9. The men and women in the 70+ age categories. I only hope to have that much vitality when I am that age.
10. My family, the ones who were there in person, waiting in the hot sun and giving me something to look forward to; the ones who couldn't be there but called and encouraged, and of course, Tim, who ran a great marathon and every day inspires me to be a little better.
11. And the poster that gave me a mantra for the race, and maybe for life: EAT, PRAY, LOVE, RUN. Really, what more is there?

2 comments:

Mindi said...

monica--

the feeling is mutual. it was love at first sight.

thanks for stopping and making me feel like a million bucks--who woulda thought that somebody out there really reads me? INSANE.

xoxo
mindi

ps now i can stalk you.

Melissa said...

You Broadbent's are crazy! Way to go Jarin and good job Monica:)