Total Pageviews

Monday, January 25, 2010

Pulitzer Prize

The book we are currently reading for book group is Olive Kitteridge, the 2009 winner of the Pulitzer Prize for fiction. That got me thinking and I realized that I didn't really know much about the prize. So, I did some reading and here are a few things I learned:
1. It is pronounced with a uh for the "u" sound, as in "pull-it-sir";
2. There are numerous Pulitzer Prizes, each for some type of writing. The one for fiction is given for "distinguished fiction by an American author, the book preferably dealing with American life".
3.The voting jury doesn't consider all books written in any particular year. A book is only considered if an application is submitted with a $50 fee.
4. I have read 8 Pulitzer Prize winning books:
1953 - The Old Man and the Sea, Ernest Hemingway
1988 - Beloved, Toni Morrison
1999 - The Hours, Michael Cunningham
2000 - Interpreter of Maladies, Jhumpa Lahiri
2003 - Middlesex, Jeffrey Eugenides
2004 - The Known World, Edward P. Jones
2006 - March, Geraldine Brooks
2009 - Olive Kitteridge, Elizabeth Strout.
I loved March and HATED Middlesex. Everything else was somewhere in between.

What have you been reading?

1 comment:

Julie Broadbent said...

Dear Monica-Blog the juice. Please. I'm putting you on a book-blogging diet -- you can only blog books the first Sunday of every month.

I love you.