Total Pageviews

Friday, July 17, 2009

The Honeymoon

If you ever end up with some spare change, and time on your hands, I highly suggest you make your way to Maui. Tim and I considered staying close for a honeymoon, you know, cheap and convenient. Then we thought again and decided that was crazy talk, that we should go somewhere romantic, exciting and beautiful. Maui certainly delivered. There is endless coastline and each beach had it's own unique features. We spent a fair amount of time beach hopping but definitely found a favorite in Big Beach. I perfected the art of lying on the beach, sleeping and reading. Tim discovered a love for snorkeling and spent most of time in the water. We ate a lot of shave ice, Local Boyz definitely had the best. We met a lot of "friends", everyone loved to hear that we were on our honeymoon. We got lots of congratulations and a few freebies. At the end of the vacation I almost had to push Tim onto the plane to get him to go home.

This was the first beach we went to. It was about 10 minutes drive from our hotel. We stopped at a deli, got some sandwiches, and set up camp.

One of our "friends" told us how great the waves were at Big Beach, so we packed up our stuff, and moved locations for the rest of the afternoon. The waves were huge, after a few minutes in the pounding surf, Tim decided to let the waves have the victory.

We were constantly looking for someone to take a photo of us.
Honeymoon pics are not as exciting with just one person.

We took the recommendation of the taco shop owner and went to Cafe Ole for Dinner.
The waiter was strange, the fish was fabulous.

We decided to spend a day on the Kaanapali shore, about an hour north of where we were staying. In these pictures the beach is beautiful, right? It was amazing until the wind started. I woke up and had a coating of sand all over my face and body. I haven't ever been to the Sahara, but I imagine that might be how it feels to survive a sandstorm. We let the wind have the victory and we went shopping in Lahaina.


While I was being sandblasted, Tim went snorkeling out by the point. He saw lots of fish and hung out with several turtles.

While in Lahaina, we did go to one historical place, the Old Lahaina Courthouse.
The bathrooms were nice.

In the middle of Lahaina there is a Banyan tree that spreads over an entire park.
We loved it, can you tell?



I loved these little stools. I want a set for the backyard that I don't have.

Molokini and the Catamaran.
There is a crater off the coast which really spectacular snorkeling. There are plenty of choices of boats to take you there. Since we were on our honeymoon, we decided to upgrade, and went on this catamaran. The boat was beautiful, the scenery was even better. In addition to snorkeling at Molokini, we stopped at a second spot where we swam with turtles. We then spent an hour or two cruising up and down the shore. They served breakfast, lunch and all the Diet Coke you could drink. If I would have had a toothbrush, I would have never left.



This shot is for Julie.




A local sent us to this resort for the "best coconut shrimp on the island". They were expensive, and there were only 3, but the were delicious!

The Road to Hana
The Road to Hana is long, and windy, and has lots of hikes to waterfalls. We prepared by stocking up on banana bread and cane juice.




One of the first waterfalls, pretty, but not the best.

It was on the Road to Hanna that Tim really perfected the self portrait.


Seriously, Tim's skills are amazing.

The "friend" that took this shot worked hard to get us posed just right.

After a lot of white sand, this black sand beach was really fascinating. The sand was very coarse and had a lot of larger grains. I could bore you with how it came to be, but basically it is a newer beach that was formed by lava flow.

I think Tim may have learned this pose from Hailey.




These were a few of the Seven Divine Pools.
They were beautiful but somehow didn't feel quite so divine with all of the unwashed masses.
We couldn't get everyone to move for a better shot - c'mon people.
If you are a guide book nerd (which I may be), you don't miss out on great sites like the grave of Charles Lindberg.
On vacation I usually like to stay away from chain restaurants and get more of the local flavor. However, we weren't sure that we would find a better justification to splurge than the honeymoon so we went for it. Tim said that it was probably the best meal that he has ever had - I would agree, amazing.
Just to show that I have a sense of humor, I decided to post one of the many shots that Tim took while I was sleeping. No questions of whether or not I was relaxed.
This was our last hour or so on the beach. Clearly the sadness didn't affect the posing.

Me and my man. I love you baby, thanks for a fabulous honeymoon!

3 comments:

Julie Broadbent said...

I don't think I've ever laughed AND cried at a honeymoon recap! 1) I can't believe you were on a beach without me. Just weird. 2) Glad T.J. has discovered snorkeling, though - he can hang with me in Mexico. 3) Love the "banyan tree" dress!!!! You missed a fantastic photo-shoot op I'm thinking!!! (Laying across...under...over...hanging like a monkey...) 4) Totally LOL at the "Julie Shot" of your feet!!!! There's just nothing better, right?! 5) AWESOME new bikini - you know which one I'm talkin' 'bout. 6) Where's a palapa when you need one? 7) Still can't believe I wasn't invited. 8) I'm guessing since you were hanging with TJ that you didn't get mistaken for Brazilians? Bummer. 9) SO want to do the catamaran! 10) That just might be the best sleeping shot ever! Good job, Tim! XO!!!!

Hailey Yep said...

Perfect honeymoon. I'm so, so jealous.
Oh, and I'm glad that TimJim knows how to work it.

Jenna Theobald Broadbent said...

"Seriously, Tim's skills are amazing." Hailey and I are so happy to know Tim Jim is a tender lover.