Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Ogden Marathon - Part Deux

So, I made it, we all made it. The whole thing was a little chaotic, but a great time. The night before we had dinner at the Olive Garden. This is our somewhat pathetic attempt to show how many marathons we have run. No, I haven't done 41, I just couldn't figure out the whole number thing and which order put my fingers for the camera. This was progress though. Before Kristina helped me, I was trying to figure out if I had to take off both of my shoes to get enough digits.



I started the race really nervous but once I got going, as usual, I loosened up and started to enjoy the ride. I kept a pretty good pace for most of the race. As I began to slow down I just decided to not stress so much about my time, and instead, remember that I run these races because they are fun. I spent the rest of the race smiling, waving and singing along to my music. It still hurt - bad, but I really had so much fun. My time was respectable, I think about 4:20.
The great parts were that Merin, Tim, Aislinn and Susan all finished and I was so proud of all of them.

After the race is when it got crazy. We found out that my mom had crashed on her bike and hurt her knee. She had been watching a homeless guy and missed a lip on the sidewalk, flying and landing directly on her knee. The good news is that she doesn't appear to have done major damage and she is on the mend, but that day she was in a lot of pain and pretty incapacitated. It took a first aid guy, a wheelchair, and my dad and Tim to get her back to the hotel and on her way home.
Once she was settled, the hunt for Tim's kids began. His parents brought the kids to watch, support, and run the kids race. However, due to some communication errors, it was a long time before we all found each other. Instead of medals, the kids all got colored cowbells at the finish. Super fun idea but wow, someone should have thought about the noise before they made that decision.
We got back to the hotel, finally, and realized that we did not have any photos at all. My dad is showered and clean, and the hotel definitely not swanky, but, there is a record of the day.

Four months and we get to do it all again!

4 comments:

Jami Broadbent said...

did i mention that you guys are CRAZY!

aisy said...

That four months later part... ugh. it was fun and glad I had some veterans to help my nerves

I need to get those night before pics. Love our Olive Garden ones.

Unknown said...

Hi Monica-
love this so much! I want to be like you when I grow up and run a marathon....under 5 hours would be reason to rejoice!!!!

Tim is stinking cute and has that sweet little 'it' factor I like to call charisma...a good match for you! It was great to see you.

Melissa said...

You guys had so much fun, it makes me want to run a marathon! Not really--maybe I could come hang with your mom and cheer you on. I think I could compete pretty well in the kids race.....Congrats!