Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Ogden Marathon

Should I be concerned that I am totally out of breath after walking up a flight of stairs to my office? I am seriously concerned!!!
That's just one of the many things that has been running through my head today. You would think that after running numerous marathons, I wouldn't get so freaked out but yep, it is happening. This time I have several friends (go Aislinn, Susan and Merin) who are running their first marathon! I am so proud of them and their determination, but just thinking about running a first marathon makes me "pee your pants" nervous.
Currently, my knee hurts, my achilles hurts, my back hurts, things that never even normally hurt are hurting. They physical therapist said that I should stretch a lot this week. I have followed his instructions but this morning my muscles felt even tighter than normal.
I am starting to feel like a slug, I have been going to bed early and sleeping in late, barely working out and I have never felt so exhausted. I don't like to think that my Diet Coke gives me that much energy, besides, I just barely cut it out today. Tim and I went for a 2 mile run and 1 mile walk this morning. It should have felt easy breezy, right. Well, it didn't. I just kept thinking, "I have to do 13 of those on Saturday." It wasn't a really great thought.
There are, however, several bright spots. 1)I keep reminding myself that I signed up for this and actually think it is a good time one I get there. 2)It is so exciting to be running with such a supportive group, great girlfriends, my dad, and of course, Tim. 3)The high temperature is only supposed to be 75 degrees on Saturday, much better than the 89 predicted for Monday. 4)I read a thought from a professional runner - sorry, no idea who - this week that basically said that he tries to use a race as a celebration of all of his hard work and accomplishments, he tries to relax, have fun, and enjoy the moment. That is what I am aiming for on Saturday, fast or slow, I plan to enjoy the ride.

3 comments:

Tim said...

....I look forward to....say....11 30am-12pm on saturday.....ice cream and chocolate milk.....but will plan on "enjoying the ride"....I just hope my new bister I developed on my heel on tuesdays run heals fast! (ya gotta love new shoes)
P.S. I think the fact we ate 3 batches of rice crispy treats this week (my two batches of rice cripy treats, plus your batch of one) may not quite make it to the Runners World pre-marathon dietary recommendations for champions, but they sure were good! ...lol...I LOVE YOU!

aisy said...

aren't you the one that should be pumping me up?!?! ha ha.

i get nerves whenever i think about it. but yes, let's try to enjoy the ride. i'm off for a very brief little run to make sure my legs remember how to move. i've been utterly lazy this week.

and you'll kick butt once you're out there. you always do.

Melissa said...

Ummm.....good luck? You are crazy insane (in such a good way!) I know how much you love to run--so seriously, GOOD LUCK! Have fun and like your quote said--enjoy the moment.

Mel