Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Christmas Memories and Traditions Part V

I realize that it is starting to seem like we have an obscene amount of traditions and activities for Christmas - we probably do but I wouldn't have it any other way.  When we were young, my mom always worked so hard to create memories and holiday traditions for our family.  Even though we are all grown, we still look forward to so many of the traditions she started and I even find myself recreating many of her favorites.  We have had a lot going on during the month of December and I hope that for both the big and the little kids, we have created a lot of great memories to last a lifetime.


The Sunday before Christmas is my favorite Sunday of the year - no matter which ward I have attended, it seems that the focus is always on Christmas music and I love the way it reminds me of the reason for the season.  A few months ago Tim surprised me and said that he planned to join the ward choir - after nine years of marriage I just barely discovered that he likes to sing.  Our ward choir director is a fantastic musician so she chose some really complicated songs and arrangements.  Tim was diligent in attending the practices and it was awesome to have him be a part of the program.  The songs and narration were really beautiful and we all left feeling ready to welcome Christmas.

As much as I love the Christmas church services, I also love choosing Christmas outfits for Luke and Ruby to wear to church.  On Sunday, Tim and Luke left first but when Ruby and I got home I was pleasantly surprised to find them still in their church clothes.  Tim said that Luke reminded him that mama likes to take pictures and that they couldn't change.  This completely surprised me because I hadn't said anything about it.  My family just knows that pictures matter to me.  They completely humored me as we tried various poses and lighting combinations until we got something decent.  





 It takes a lot of silly shots to get one nice one.
 
We loved how our Christmas cards turned out this year


As Christmas Eve approached we talked briefly about what we wanted to do, and whether or not we wanted to change any of our traditions.....but why make changes when you have a good thing going.

Tim and I took Luke and Ruby to see the new Grinch movie.  It was sweet and funny and even made me cry a little.  The kids loved it and are still begging to hear the songs from the soundtrack.
Image result for grinch movie 2018

The movie theater popcorn was really just a warm up for the main event - dinner at Outback Steakhouse.  We go every year, and every year we have a great time.  This year we were a smaller group without my mom and dad - my mom just had knee surgery and didn't feel quite up to it, but it was still a fun evening.  Letting someone else do the cooking and the dishes made it possible to just relax and enjoy the meal with family.


After dinner, Luke and Ruby were anxious to get home and into bed so that Santa wouldn't fly past our house.  They opened new jammies and loved having an early present.  Luke is especially sensitive and was a little sad that Taylor, Erika and Brycen weren't there to open their own jammies. We talked about the big kids for a bit and then he rallied and got excited about Santa again.  



At some point in the day I realized that we didn't have any cookies for Santa.  We talked about options and considered stopping at the store, but the kids decided that he would prefer to get some candy.  Luke left the sweetest note and even left his own bell as a gift.

It took the kids quite awhile to settle down - there was just too much Christmas magic in the air.  After several extra drinks, questions, and many many hugs and kisses, they finally fell asleep and set the stage for Santa to make his grand appearance.  Luke and Ruby asked me to leave my camera out and once again, we got lucky and caught a picture of Santa visiting our house.  



Luke was the first one up on Christmas morning.  He woke at about 6:30 and was so excited to see the presents and to know that Santa had left so many surprises.  Taylor and Brycen made it by 7:30 and we finally woke Ruby so that the fun could begin.  We had the best morning opening presents, playing with new toys and eating breakfast casseroles.  All of the kids were so appreciative of everything they received and it was especially fun to see Luke and Ruby's excitement.  The morning was magical and I was too caught up in the fun to take more than just a few photos.

All Ruby wanted were piggy slippers

New sunglasses to replace the ones at the bottom of the Caribbean

Taylor completely spoiled all of the family


Presents from Erika were some of the kids's favorites




The little girl in me was as excited as Ruby for this Barbie motor home

 
 
Just happy to have each other


The kids were quick to try out their new toys



Eventually we all got cleaned up and dressed and headed to Santaquin to celebrate with my family.  The cousins had a great time playing with new toys and the rest of us just hung out, ate and chatted.  


There were a few fun surprises
Like a night out to see Wicked

 And a few presents for my mom and dad

 

As we drove home that night, I think we all just felt really happy to have had such a great day together.  We missed having Erika with us, but other than that, it was  a pretty fantastic day - probably one of our best Christmas holidays together as a family and for that, we are so grateful.


No comments: