Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Children of God



I reviewed the book The Sparrow a few months ago. Children of God by Mary Doria Russell is the sequel. It follows the story of Emilio, the survivor who made it home from Rhakat. Against his will, Emilio returns to Rhakat with a group that includes Jesuit priests, entrepreneurs, and a mercenary. The book was good, not great. Children of God had more 0f a focus on science fiction and less relationships.

My favorite part of he book was this conversation with one of the priests: "There's a passage in Exodus where God tells Moses, 'No one can see My face but I will protect you with my hand until I have passed by you and then I will remove my hand and you will see my back. Well, I always thought this was a physical metaphor but now I wonder if it isn't really abut time. Maybe that was God's way of telling us that we can never know His intentions, but as time goes on...we'll understand. We'll see where he was: we'll see his back.

No comments: