Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 3, 2018

St. George...The Marathon


Since the time I started running Marathons, St. George Marathon has been a favorite race and is our Fall destination nearly every year.  When I signed up to to run the race in April, it seemed like the right idea, but by the time it got closer to the marathon I wasn't quite sure that I even wanted to run.  This last year has been a tough one for me and my running.  I was diagnosed with Celiac and went gluten free which should have made me feel much better.  However, it has thrown my thyroid out of whack which has had a huge impact on me both physically and emotionally.  I have struggled in nearly all of my workouts and have really questioned my ability to run.  During some of my long, difficult training runs, I questioned if I even cared about running a marathon anymore.  I knew I wasn't well trained and as October grew closer I actually considered just staying home.  I moped around about it for awhile, but then decided that I really did want to run. I was nervous because I knew how hard it would be - but I just couldn't bring myself to quit and leave behind my summer of long runs.  So, Friday October 5th we got up early, celebrated Ruby's 5th birthday, then loaded up our gear and started the drive to St. George.  We arrived early afternoon and drove straight to the expo where I picked up my number and we checked out the various booths and vendors.  The best part of the experience, as it always is, was the photo booth- the photos are silly, the photographer is grumpy, and we love the memories and photos we have collected through the years.


After the expo we went to our condo where I got all of my gear sorted and organized and tried to get settled for the night.  It was a weird year because I was the only member of my family that raced.  That made it tough at the house because I was the only one nervous about meal time, bed time, and time on my feet.  My mom, bless her heart, had brought baked spaghetti and I was so relieved to not have to worry about dinner.  A few days before the race a memory had popped up on my Facebook of six years ago when me, Tim, my dad, Sean and Jarin all ran the race.  It is one of my favorite pictures, and memories, and I suddenly started feeling very sad that I would be racing alone.  Tim was sweet and offered to take me to the starting line and wait with me until I got on the bus.  I wanted to be brave and tell him I could just drive myself but really, I was thrilled to have his support.  

On marathon morning we got to the park, then had to wait almost an hour before a set of buses arrived to take us to the start.  While we were waiting it started to rain and my hopes for a dry race were suddenly dashed.  Since running Ogden Marathon in the rain several years ago I have become almost traumatized about running in the rain.  I knew there was rain in the forecast for St. George, but I couldn't face the possibility that it would actually rain so I just kept ignoring it.  I was kind of terrified at how bad it might be, but when we got off the bus at the top, the rain had stopped so I foolishly put my rain jacket in the drop bag and started the race in a long sleeved t-shirt. Within a few minutes of tossing my bag the rain started and it continued for most of next 26.2 miles.  Unfortunately, the rain was just one of many difficulties I faced.  I struggled with heavy legs and labored breathing from the very beginning and most of the race just felt hard.  Despite all of the negative though, I had a great time and felt so grateful that I was able to run.  I love the scenery and the crowds and the experience of being with so many people who are working towards the same goal.  Even though I wasn't able to run fast, I just really felt so, so grateful that I am physically healthy enough to run the race, and that I'm able to convince myself to show up to the race and to keep putting one foot in front of the other

I may have been the only one in the family running, but I definitely had plenty of family support throughout the race.  My dad rode his bike up the trail and checked in on me at several spots in the race.  He would walk/run alongside of me giving me encouragement and even brought a pair of dry socks which felt heavenly after running in soggy socks and shoes for 16 miles.  I know he would have loved to be running so it meant so much to me to spend a little time together on the course.  


The rest of the family was waiting me about a mile from the finish line and it has seriously never felt so good to see the ones I love.  I was definitely running at the back of the pack, but the kids all cheered for me like I was about to win the race.  I had been feeling pretty beat, but their energy gave me the boost I needed to pick up my feet and finish the race with a smile.






By the time I made it to the finish line I was definitely ready to cross the line and be done.  My official time was 5:30:18.  It was my slowest time ever, and almost two hours slower than my PR, but I am still so proud of my finish.  This race was hard, and most of the time I really didn't want to do it, so finishing was a really big deal.  My 23rd marathon is in the books, talk about a great ride. 




Mantras on the hands...Always!

No comments: